Agenda and minutes

Venue: Council Chamber - The Guildhall, Marshall's Yard, Gainsborough, DN21 2NA

Contact: Katie Coughlan  Governance and Civic Officer


No. Item


Public Participation

Up to 15 minutes are allowed for public participation.  Participants are restricted to 3 minutes each.

Additional documents:


The Chairman welcomed Mr Adrian Campbell to the meeting, who had indicated he had a question/statement he wished to pose to the Committee.


Mr Campbell addressed the Committee and made the following statement: -


“I am here as Vice Chairman of Market Rasen Action Group which has 1,200 followers at present and I am also part of a new Acting Town Team which has just formed and intends to constitute an official group which it hopes will be a sub-committee of the Town Council.


This is the first opportunity that a group representing Market Rasen town centre businesses has had to contribute to the car park charges issue.


What I am about to report and ask is unanimously supported by all the businesses we have been able to canvass opinion from.


If there is a lesson to be learned here it is that Consultants probably tell you what you wanted to hear. The forecast that the income would be £50,000 with £31,000 costs with £19,000 profit must have been attractive.


To learn that in reality it is costing £43,000 to operate Market Rasen's car parks but only bringing in £27,000.and seeing that even with the nearly 300% permit price rise that is being proposed, the car parks will STILL make a loss....


The business community in Market Rasen unanimously asks that a Member puts to this committee an alternative proposal as follows


Suspend the car park charging by meter for 12 months


Save most of the £43,000 reported running cost


Keep the permit scheme with prices where they are now (to bring some income and stop clogging)


Monitor footfall using the equipment already installed and revisit the issue in 12 months.


It has been reported to you that the majority of respondents in the consultation chose to see permit prices increased but the only choices before them were price increases.


If the general public had been told the extent of the losses and that they would still be making a loss after a huge permit price rise then most would agree with the businesses. Suspend meter operations and save the best part of £43,000.


Thank you”


The Chairman thanked Mr Campbell for his statement and invited him to remain present for the debate later in the evening.


The Chairman then welcomed Councillor Steven Bunney, Deputy Mayor of Market Rasen Town Council to the meeting, who had indicated he had a statement he wished to make to the Committee.


CouncillorBunney addressed the Committee and made the following statement: -


“I have spoken to Prosperous Communities committee before regarding the willingness of the Town Council and I believe its community to move forward in putting together a wider plan, than has perhaps been involved in the past. I am pleased to thank you for your support in the past but I am pleased to also say we are now starting to work together, including with Local businesses, as stated by Mr Campbell in order that they can put forward their  ...  view the full minutes text for item 36.


Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 93 KB

To confirm and sign as a correct record the Minutes of the Prosperous Communities Committee held on 11 September 2018.

Additional documents:


(a)          Meeting of the Prosperous Communities Committee – 11 September 2018.


RESOLVED that the Minutes of the Meeting of the Prosperous Communities Committee held on 11 September 2018 be confirmed and signed as a correct record.


Matters Arising Schedule pdf icon PDF 55 KB

Setting out current position of previously agreed actions as at 15 October 2018

Additional documents:


Members gave consideration to the Matters Arising Schedule which set out the current position of all previously agreed actions as at 15 October 2018.


In response to Members’ questions the Executive Director of Operations confirmed that the Leisure Contract monitoring report had been re-programmed for January to ensure a full six months period could be included within the report.


RESOLVED that progress on the Matters Arising Schedule, as set out in the report be received and noted.


Members' Declarations of Interest

Members may make any declarations at this point but may also make them at any time during the course of the meeting.

Additional documents:


Councillor Paul Howitt-Cowan, declared a personal non-pecuniary interest in agenda item 6 (i) – Community and Voluntary Sector Funding as he was the Chairman of Lincolnshire Churches Festival.


Councillor Giles McNeill, declared a personal non-pecuniary interest in agenda item 6 (i) – Community and Voluntary Sector Funding as he was the Authority’s representative on The Lincoln Area Dial-a-Ride Management Committee.



Community and Voluntary Sector Funding pdf icon PDF 150 KB

Additional documents:


Members gave consideration to a report which set out the findings arising from the 2018 Community and Voluntary Sector Funding Review.


As part of the Council’s on-going commitment to support and work with the community and voluntary sector, it provided a range of core funding grants. This type of funding was awarded to organisations that delivered key services that benefited residents, local communities and helped support the Corporate Plan priorities, which had been set by the Council.


A CVS Funding Review was undertaken every 3 years in order to ensure the Council continued to support organisations delivering key outcomes for communities in West Lindsey.


The Review process undertaken was outlined in detail and this work had culminated in the production of the Funding Review Report for 2018 attached as Appendix A to the report.  Within the report were details of the current agreements, the review process undertaken, the review timeline, the panel’s decisions and the financial profile for 2019-2022.


In conclusion, Members noted the intention for a more in-depth review to be conducted over the next three year period, which would include a wider analysis of priorities, needs and demands and gaps in service provision.  The last time such an exercise had been undertaken was in 2012.  The review would be conducted with Member involvement and wider engagement with the community and voluntary sector, partner agencies and local communities.


Debate ensued and Members initially expressed concerns of the withdrawing of funding for Community Lincs, particularly in light of the invaluable work they undertook in respect of Neighbourhood Planning.  Indication was sought as to whether this service would continue and what work had been undertaken to-date to secure alternative arrangements.


In response Officers advised there was already a broad agreement and commitment in place for this element of work to continue.  The value added by Community Lincs in this respect had been widely recognised and current Neighbourhood Planning budgets could possibly allow for this work to continue to be funded, albeit outside of the Community and Voluntary Sector Grant monies.  Officers would need to work on a finalised arrangement and agreement but gave their assurance that if for whatever reason this was not realised, then a report would be brought back to this Committee. 


The reassurance was welcomed and a Member therefore moved the recommendations.


Members shared the sentiment expressed with regard to the support offered by Community Lincs in relation to Neighbourhood Planning. The commitment to continue to offer such provision beyond March 2019 was also welcomed and as such the recommendations were seconded.  


The funding offered to Dial-a-Ride was considered to offer real value for money considering the level of provision afforded to the district, and number of service users.  The Council representative outlined the funding level to service provision ratio afforded to each partner organisation, and in comparison he considered West Lindsey received a lot of service for not a lot of investment, a point considered worthy of note.


Members were therefore supportive of the small increase  ...  view the full minutes text for item 40.


Councillor Initiative Fund pdf icon PDF 150 KB

Additional documents:


The Councillor Initiative Fund had been running since 2006. Since its creation the fund had enabled Members to support local community projects and initiatives with small to medium sized grant awards.


In addition to supporting projects with funding, the fund was a key tool that facilitated greater engagement between Members and local residents, community organisations, and parish/town councils.


The current delivery of the fund was operating with a budget to cover from 2016 to 2019, allocated from Council reserves and approved as part of a re-launch of the Council’s Community Grants Programme in 2015/2016.


Under the current scheme Members received an allocation of £3,000 to award to projects during the 3 year time period, a total budget of £108,000.


The current budget for the fund would end in March 2019 and any remaining funds would be returned to Council’s reserves.


Members therefore gave consideration to a report which set out options for the future provision of the fund, these were detailed at Section 5 of the report with the recommended option being that the Scheme continue in line with Option 1, this being a £1,000 per year per Member for a four year period, with a maximum award cap of £1,000 per project. If approved the Scheme would launch in June 2019, taking into the account the May local elections.


Debate ensued and Members reflected on the impact the funding scheme had had and the need it demonstrated.  All were in agreement that the Fund delivered real community benefit and assistance at a time when other such schemes were disappearing fast and therefore were supportive of its continuation.


There were some concerns however over the capping element being proposed.  Officers outlined the rationale for this, advising that as the fund had been designed to deliver small grants, the governance around the funding was proportionate to such.  Officers were of the view that the governance arrangements were not secure enough for larger scale monies.  Such amounts would require greater checks, balances and monitoring, all of which would require additional resourcing which was not currently available.


Members expressed a variety of views in relation to the cap and posed a number of scenarios as to how they had previously used their funding, seeking indication as to whether this would be permitted under the new cap.


Whilst it was accepted that the pooling of funds in areas such as Gainsborough had the potential to deliver bigger schemes with greater impact, the previous points regarding the requirement for greater governance were re-iterated.  In response to a Member’s question regarding staffing disadvantages referred to in the report, it was noted that no specific staffing resource was currently allocated to the administration of this scheme, and if approved the position would remain unchanged, another factor which was an important consideration.  Greater governance would likely need additional staffing resources, which would be at an additional cost. Finally it was noted that other funding streams were available to deliver larger scale projects and these should be utilised in  ...  view the full minutes text for item 41.


Market Rasen Car Parking Charges - 12 month review pdf icon PDF 187 KB

Additional documents:


Members gave consideration to a report which sought to determine the Market Rasen Car Parking Policy following a consultation exercise on the first two hours free period currently in force, and to determine the level of permit prices to be applied in the Town.


The background to the review was outlined in Section 1 of the report and the consultation exercise undertaken and the arising results were outlined in Section 2.


The proposed permit changes along with the Car Parking Policy for Market Rasen arising as a result were detailed in sections 3 and 4 of the report. 


The overall financial impact of the policy and charges was set out at section 7.


Before opening the matter for debate the Chairman invited visiting Ward Member, Councillor Smith, to address the committee, who made the following statement: -


“Thank you Madam Chairman


The people of Market Rasen would of course like as much free parking as possible that goes without saying. However, I and the Town Council are aware of the budgetary pressures the Council finds itself in. The retention of the two hours free car parking is most welcome as this will assist the local businesses of Market Rasen on its high street who like many high streets across the country are struggling at the moment for a whole host of reasons. Lastly I would like to thank you Madam Chairman and our Director for Economic Growth Eve Fawcett Moralee for the discussions we have had on the matter, as they highlight the other possible options that could be considered in the next financial year.”


The Chairman thanked Councillor Smith for his comments and noted that comments had been made by two members of the public during the public participation session earlier in the evening before opening the matter for debate.


Some Members expressed concern at the accuracy of the figures within the report, having heard from the public speakers and in response the Financial Services Manager offered the following summary: -


It was stressed that the 2019/2020 estimate was not directly comparable with the 18/19 position.  The current level of income for 18/19 had a forecasted outturn positon of £27,000, the loss of income due to the two hours free parking had been calculated in a previous report at £9,000.  The report being considered by Members was effectively forecasting a budget for the running costs of the Market Rasen Car parks during 2019/20.


There were currently 111 permits issued but in preparing the forecast, consideration had to be given, in the event of prices being increased, to the likelihood of these all being retained.  Therefore assumptions had had to be made as to how this may impact in the future.  These were as follows : -


19/20 – a reduction of 12.5%

20/21- a reduction of 25%


It was stressed these were assumptions and estimates.  A further assumption being relied upon was that general parking income would continue at present levels.  These factors and assumptions would be reviewed annually  ...  view the full minutes text for item 42.


Fees and Charges 2019/2020 pdf icon PDF 177 KB

The fees and charges relating to building control are defined as exempt information.  If the Committee wish to discuss these in detail they will need to resolve to exclude the public and press – reference agenda items 8 and 9 below.

Additional documents:


Members gave consideration to a report which detailed proposed fees and charges for service areas and functions, within its purview, to take effect from 1 April 2019.


In presenting the report the fees and charges policy and process was summarised to Members.


Section 3 of the report summarised the main increases, it was noted that 246 of the 512 fees reviewed were statutory, thereby set by Central Government. 86% had experienced no change whilst 5% had seen an increase, and 6% a decrease.   There had been 6 new statutory charges within planning applications. The increases in fees and charges for statutory services sat primarily within Environmental Services and related to charges set by DEFRA.  An announcement regarding any changes to these fees was expected in February 2019 and the schedule would be updated to reflect any amendments once known.


Of the 266 non statutory fees and charges (charges set locally) 40% had experienced no change with 53% having increases proposed and 2% decreases.  


The majority of the remaining increases were as a result of Standard RPI increases having been applied to the following areas, Bulky Waste, Pre-App advice, Cemeteries, Licensing and Land Charges.


The Trinity Arts Centre and Building Control Commercial Services were currently provided with prices on application and it was being proposed that the following services also move to the model, Trade Waste, Private Street Cleansing Work and Room hire.


Debate ensued and a Councillor sought details of the financial impact of the Roseway Car Park completion having been delayed by 4 months,  and whether this lost income would have covered the cost of the two hours free parking being offered in Market Rasen.


It was clarified that the Car Park was due for completion in September and therefore the delay had only been one month.  Officers undertook to provide the answer to Members outside of the meeting, having had the opportunity to investigate.


This cost was expected to be in the region of circa £2,000.


In response to a Member expressing concern at the wording of recommendation two, Officers clarified its intention and indicated the following words would be added “and following consultation with Policy Committee Chairmen, implement changes during the year if required with relevant committee approvals”. Members indicated their satisfaction. 


A potential error in relation to scrap metal charges, within the supplement, was identified in relation to the new/renewal site fees – Year 2 inspection.  There appeared to be an increase in percentage yet a reduction in cost?  Officers indicated this would be amended before proceeding to Corporate Policy and Resources Committee.


A Member made reference to some phrasing within the report, relating to car parking and cemeteries and indicated this could perhaps be amended to read more favourably, making a number of suggestions.


In response to a Member’s concern that increasing bulky waste collection charges would result in increased fly tipping, Officers advised that charges had been raised in the previous year and there had been no evidence of  ...  view the full minutes text for item 43.


Workplan pdf icon PDF 61 KB

Additional documents:


Members gave consideration to the Committee Work Plan.


It was noted that the Executive Director of Operations would provide Members with an update in respect of the Japan Road Project item, at the conclusion of the exempt item of business.


RESOLVED that the workplan as set out in the report be received and noted.



Exclusion of Public and Press

To resolve that under Section 100 (A)(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the public and press be excluded from the meeting for the following item of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Act.


Additional documents:


RESOLVED that under Section 100 (A)(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the public and press be excluded from the meeting for the following item of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Act.



Fees Charges 2019/2020 - Building Control


Members had earlier in the meeting given consideration to the Fees and Charges to be set for 2019/20 in respect of services within the purview of the Committee, with the exception of those which related to building control, as these were considered commercially sensitive, due to the way in which the service competed for trade.


RESOLVED that having considered the proposed fees and charges, relating to Building Control, they be RECOMMENDED to the Corporate Policy and Resources Committee for approval.



Joint Working Project - Japan Road

Additional documents:


The Executive Director of Operations provided Members with a brief update in respect of the Japan Road Project, in light of this having being at the “being scoped” stage on the Committee’s workplan for some time.


Members noted the position.