(a sub-committee of the Governance and Audit Committee)
1. To promote and maintain high standards of conduct by Councillors and co-opted members.
2. To assist Councillors and co-opted members to observe the Members’ Code of Conduct.
3. To advise the Council on the adoption or revision of the Members’ Code of Conduct.
4. To monitor the operation of the Members’ Code of Conduct.
5. To advise, train or arrange to train Councillors and co-opted members on matters relating to the Members’ Code of Conduct.
6. To grant dispensations to Councillors and co-opted members from requirements relating to interests set out in the Members’ Code of Conduct.
7. To exercise such other functions as the Council considers appropriate.
8. To exercise of 1 to 7 above in relation to the town/parish councils and their members in the council’s area.
9. To grant and supervise exemptions from political restriction of posts.
The committee shall comprise six elected District Councillors and up to three non-voting parish representatives.
The normal period of office of the parish members shall be four years and all such members shall retire along with elected Members
Non continued compliance with the criteria for selection as an independent/parish member of the committee and the disqualifications for appointment as summarised in Sections 80 and 81 of the Local Government Act 1972 (with the exception of the requirement to attend meetings in a six month period) shall apply to the parish members.
Quorum - A meeting of the Standards Sub-Committee shall not be quorate unless at least three elected Members (and one parish representative when the case in question concerns a Parish Councillor) of that Sub-Committee are present for its duration.
This Sub-Committee, by formal resolution of full Council at its annual meeting, is not politically restricted.
Any Member wishing to serve or substitute on this Sub-Committee must have undertaken such training as deemed appropriate by the Monitoring Officer, and as a minimum, within the previous two years of the date of the meeting.